Subject: Re: [Leica] ZS, BTZS
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:40:53 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> I disagree with Mike to a degree.... There are 2 parts of the Zone System:
> Metering and film development.  Most heavy duty Zone users ( Zonies?) lock
> the 2 together.  WIth roll film, unless you have different bodies for each
> development compression or expansion, you will be lost.  Expensive and
> reaslitically impractical.

I don't see any reason not to use some form of the ZS with 35mm: When we
have a roll of film that was shot under more than one set of lighting
conditions, chances are, our processing technique will favor some more
than others; I'd rather be able to choose which frames I will favor.

When I'm using the M6, I'm generally content to "place" a major picture
element into the desired Zone and guesstimate where the others will
fall--just a slight variation on "light up the two arrows and shoot!"
Very quick and unfussy. Since the M6 meter spot is kind of big, I often
meter off the ground or off the sides of buildings.

With all formats, I really have come to appreciate one Zone System trick
in the darkroom: Determining basic print exposure as the least exposure
which prints a Zone 0 negative as maximum paper black. Having come from
broadcast TV, the notion of first setting correct black levels was
natural. Saves lots of paper!
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado