Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Which Leica M lens is your favorite?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:23:03 -0800

Anders Nygren wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >
> > George Huczek wrote:

> > > version before the current(1979-1994). The focusing lever is much nicer to
> > > use than the current type.
> > ><Snip>
> > I agree for many reasons.
>
> And those are?
>
> /Anders Nygren

Thanks for asking Anders!
My favorite focal length is 50 on a 35 but I also love a 40.
The quality of this lens in what I see from my system is second to none. We talk
about the APO's but the 50 does not need to be APO.
The 50 focal length is the easiest to design and manufacture and generally the "sharpest."
I like it's flatter formality over the 35. (See the work of HCB)
I like seeing the framelines in my finder without taking my glasses off.
It is lighter than my other lenses by quite a bit  (my 35 is the ASPH) and makes
for a lighter feeling camera which I wear on my waist with my thick leather belt
and foam camera-jacket Velcro thing a Zip something (I took the Logo off)
When used with care a fifty can feel like either a tele or a wide. (In it's results)
You're not going to get flat results with a 35mm lens.
You're not going to get perspective results with a 75 or 90.
You can get both with a 50.
Mark Rabiner