Subject: Re: [Leica] tech pan notes
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:31:42 +0100

 during the discussion it was
>revealed that TEC was just a revision of the Willi Beutler, a German chemist
>and photographer, formula that had been published in Modern Photography in
>1958-59.  It was easier to buy TEC in small (30cc) bottles than mix the Willi
>Beutler formula (metol, sodium sulfite, and sodium carbonate).  There were
>two Willi Beutler formula with the first being a very, very dilute formula
>the second fomula just being twice as strong; ie., 5 grams of metol in the
>first formula and 10 grams of metol in the second one.  It is my best
>understanding that a German photochemical company packaged the first Willi
>Beutler developer and labeled it "Blau".  I believe the German company was
>Tetenal.

In Europe Tetenal is still selling Neofin Blau and Neofin Red in those
quaint litte bottles. As I have a bottle or two at home, I would be very
interested to hear how you develop Tech Pan in Neutol Blue. (I have tried
Tech Pan in Neofin Doku, also in the same little bottles, which is what
Tetenal recommend for Tech Pan. I still find the negatives hard). BTW, I
got  Beutler's book Meine Dunkelkammer Praxis, 2nd ed 1961 at a swap meet
for $ 1,50 a few weeks ago.