Subject: [Leica] "Vitamin C" developers
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:44:47 +0000

Mark,
I've never tried Neutol Plus and don't have any on hand. I'll have to
try it.

I approve of ascorbic developers generally. They have excellent
technical properties, low toxicity, and are environmentally very
benign--even compared to other developers, most of which aren't so bad.

In fact the only materials "crisis" I've had in recent years is that
Tri-X is one of the few films that I think is not a partciularly good
match to Xtol (although it's not bad)--I've actually considered
switching films so I can use Xtol. It's a really good film developer. It
deserves to be for the next 50 years what D-76 has been for the last 50
and more (D-76 was formulated in 1932, if memory serves).

- --Mike