Subject: [Leica] Eggleston revisited
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:49:48 +0000

I just wanted to say now that the dust has settled and folks aren't blowing
quite so much smoke that the Eggleston book Jem Kime picked up for me is
really wonderful. A very head blend of technical mastery, compositional high
jinks, and emotional kick.

'That' picture of the turn in the road is hardly typical, and belongs, I
think, to a long series he took on assigment for (of all people) Rolling
Stone. A lot of Eggleston's work makes more sense when you see it in a
series. The only pictures of his I don't particularly care for are those he
shot in England... they look like sucker pictures to me... ie they don't
reveal any real understanding of the place.

The very good introduction to the book talks about his friendship with
Friedlander, Sarkowszki and Winogrand, as well hinting at his influence on
David Lynch and David Byrne, and his early infatuation with both HCB and
Walker Evans. I certainly don't think he's either a charlatan or an
incompetent.

Next time you're in a good bookstore or library, take down one of his books
from the shelves and let me know if you see the same things. His big THE
DEMOCRATIC FOREST is the very next book on my 'must buy' list.
- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk