Subject: [Leica] new RF breed
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:14:15 -0500

christian becker wrote
 There is always demand for something 'different'. But I
doubt many are willing to learn how to handle a RF (the market is already
swapped with abandoned M6).

Christian here in England a used m6 is difficult to find. My dealer has a
waiting list. M6ttl's seem to be less popular though for some reason.

Talk of a retro Nikon had me haul out my battered MP. I still prefer its
viewfinder to the Leica, but everything else about it feels and sounds
unrefined in comparison to my M6 (1985 vintage and equally "run in").

I am an engineer and was brought up on the adage that "an engineer is
someone who can do for a shilling what any damn fool could do for a pound".
Today we live in a society where obsolescence is part of economics - even
when it doesn't need to be - but thats marketing for you. Nothing is made
today with the same quality of machining and materials as the M6 and SP. If
Nikon have not retained the tooling for the rangefinder series, and one
looks at the size of the market, I would be surprised if they could sell
their S3 at a profit if it was as cheap as an M6.
Fitting a standard electronic shutter and motor wind on would save a
fortune but a vertical run Copal is a different shape entirely - it would
not fit. The camera would have to be completely redesigned accruing more
one off costs.
Without the sales numbers it is impossible to  calculate a break even sales
price for a completely newly tooled rangefinder made to a classic (ie pre
electronics & plastic) design. I would be amazed if they could do it at as
a viable product - particularly with lenses as well. Nevertheless, if they
have tooled for the limited edition who knows. As a user it will be nowhere
near a Leica for me.

cheers Frank