Subject: Re: [Leica] Try it again for the first time...
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:28:11 +0100

At 9:26 pm +0100 22/2/00, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
snip
>I had decided to try Kodachrome again after reading the many comments on
>Erwin's web site. So, now I have just looked at 38 K64 slides on a light
>table with a loupe. It is quite a revelation. At first the colours
>seemed very muted compared to the Fuji films I have been shooting the
>past few years, but then I realised that this film gives the more
>accurate colour rendition (as evidenced  by some portraits on the roll).
>But what really threw me was the impression of sharpness--far ahead of
>any other film that has been in my M6 until now, with the possible
>exception of Agfapan 25.
snip

Natahn-
Many on this list rave about high colour saturation with Leica glass.  To my
eyes, Leica glass does its best with Kodachrome to give profound and
reserved (muted in your expression) rendition of colour rather than vivid
and outgoing (or showy) one, which in my opinion best achieved with a
Velvia/Zeiss combination.  One of my favourite photographer, Takeshi
Mizukoshi, shoots primeval forests of the world with Leica R and Kodachome
64.  I am always impressed by the ambience realised in his pictures.  I
think this ambience is hard to obtain with other combination such as
Velvia/Hassey.  This character I saw in Leica glass made me shift from
Contax to Leica, although I am primarily a B&W shooter.

I might give a try to Kodachrome myself!

Cheers,

Mikiro
Strasbourg