Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P black chrome finish problems
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:17:48 EST

<< If I would attempt to paint it black, how could I do this? What materials
should I use, how do I remove the top plate and dials?  Has anyone done
this, any picture to show the results.>>

I'd like to jump in here with my experience repainting a scruffy chrome M3 in
black enamel.  I think it is mandatory to remove the top plate in order to
paint it properly.  It is not terribly difficult to do, but does require some
special tools that are available from Fargo Enterprises (
www.micro-tools.com).  I would not use an abrasive to remove the black
chrome-it is too easy to put in deep scratches or change the contours of the
metal.  I took all the plated parts to a plating shop which used a tank of
mystery stuff to remove the chrome.  It took them all of about 1 minute.
Removing the chrome is important as paint will not adhere to it well.  I then
thoroughly cleaned the metal with detergent and a final wash  with lacquer
thinner rubbed down with very fine (0000) steel wool.  I would not consider
applying any coating to your camera with a brush.  What you want is the
thinnest possible layer of paint to do the job without looking plasticky.
Any texture from a brush will not look good.  I don't think you want your
camera to look like Tom A's pink Jeep!  It is also very easy to fill in any
engraving if the paint is too thick.  I sprayed on 3 coats of baking enamel,
which I baked in a toaster oven for about 30 minutes at 300 degrees F.  The
engraving was then filled with a lacquer stick from Fargo.  If anyone wants
more information please contact me off list.

Richard Wasserman