Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P black chrome finish problems
From: "steve lehuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:28:20 -0500

Mike,
I really hesitate to offer any advice on repainting your M4-P. But, here
goes anyway. First there is a book which i had bought last year at Barnes &
Noble and then loaned it out and it has not come back yet. The name I think
is "Repairing Leica Cameras" and i remember the author's last name is
Twoomey. In the book there is a chapter on painting a Leica which includes
how long you are supposed to leave it in the oven and at what temperature.
It seems to me the hard part is going to be taking it apart. But, BIG BUT,
it looks to me like it would be possible to strip it down with the top plate
still in place by being very gentle with a medium sandpaper and a Dremel
motor tool (on slow) for the hard to get at places. And as far as the paint
I might have some really good news there. Because I have a wooden sailboat
and spend more time hanging out at marinas with other water rats than
shooting with my leicas, I have used many different paint coatings on wood,
metal and fiberglass. So, I recommend (and I think this will work) that you
follow the above advice of leaving the top plate in place. Then get a quart
of Benjamin Moore 'Urethane Alkyd Gloss Black Enamel' "INDUSTRIAL
MAINTENANCE COATINGS". When you sand off the top plate use a 60 or 80 grit
and then for the final sanding use a 120/140 grit (this will give the paint
something to adhere to) Put on 2 coats of dark grey primer with a sanding
between each coat. Then go for 3 coats of the gloss black. Let the
primer/paint set up for a day before doing the each coat and this paint is
very hard so i doubt it needs to be baked in the oven. As to how to apply
the paint spraying on would be best but for such a small surface area that
is alot of work. So you could try this; Roller, REDTREE 7/9R-22PH Dynex from
Redtree industries, Newark, NJ. These are fine grained rollers for gloss
work.  Cut roller 1/2" with hacksaw. 1/2" and 1/4" china paintbrushes. Roll
on thin layer of primer/paint, then use brush dipped in thinner to tip out
any bubbles or high spots over the entire area painted with roller. Once it
looks smooth to the eye leave it to dry, the paint will settle down smoothly
(DO NOT TOUCH FOR AT LEAST 12 HOURS). This stuff is a miracle paint, I have
seen rusted metal on commercial fishing boats painted with this stuff and
after several years no rust is showing. Anyway good luck.
Steve
Annapolis