Subject: [Leica] OT - Why do snakes bring out the worst in people?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:32:39 EST

I can see it coming now. I predict this rattlesnake thread will take a
serious turn for the worse in record time. Among other things, I edit the
letters to the editor for Rural Missouri. We once ran an innocuous news brief
item about ridding your basement from snakes when cleaning up after the flood
of '93. We immediately got letters about snakes,  how they are vermin, and
how some jerk redneck was proud of killing them whenever he saw them. That
naturally led to letters in defense of snakes which, of course, veered off
into letters about snakes in the garden of Eden. In time, that prompted a
letter saying that God created snakes and SHE didn't intend . . . well
whatever. The whole discourse took up more than a year of our mail bag and
covered everything from conservation to atheism. I say talk about politics
and religion all you want but never, I repeat NEVER, discuss snakes in polite
company . . . (unless, of course, you're discussing a snakeskin Leica --
there's the OLC).

Bob (has been bit by snake talk before) McEowen