Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Rattlesnakes in the Wild
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:00:51 -0800 (PST)

> I have heard various things about how to shoot rattlesnakes, but I am
> looking for someone who has some actual experience in doing it.
>
> For lenses I have heard that you want to use a minium of a 100mm or a
> fast 80-200 or similar zoom.  I understand that a good flash can also
> be helpful.
>
> Self protection.  Here I have heard a number of things.  One guy said
> you cut a piece of 1/4 inch plywood 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet high,
> put some type of handles on the back side, and paint it dark green.
>
> Second, I have heard that you get a set of shin guards like baseball
> catchers wear, and spry paint then bright hunter orange.
>
> Third I have heard that you can use pieces of stove pipe that can be
> purchased at any hardware store.  You put the pipe around your legs
> and put a couple of rubber bands over them to keep the pipe snug.
>
> Fourth, I have heard that you always carry a 38 cal or 357 cal pistol
> loaded with scatter shot in the event you have a problem.

And I thought that we(photographers) only take pictures not lives.

> Fifty, always know the location of the nearest hospital that has
> anti-venom serum, and don't rely on the police or paramedics to know
> where one is.
>
> Sixth, keep a cooler in the car with ice water and towels in it, so
> you can wrap the bitten area with the cold towels.
>
> Seventh, pray a lot.
>
> Does anyone on the group have real life experice with fun projects
> like this?

I don't know about anybody else but if I have to carry a gun with me
to go taking pictures I would not consider that as a fun project.
In case something bad happens(heaven forbid), it could either be
you or the snake that has to lose the live.

What is the fun in that?

I, personally, will go to the zoo or a snake farm if one is available.

Regards,

Pitak

- --
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman