Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-X in divided Xtol (!)
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 03:18:57 +0100

John:

This was interesting. Please let me know how you agitated.

I just tried a commercially packaged divided developer (Emofin from
Tetenal) and I was not pleased with the result I got when using it with
HP5. With HP5 I clearly prefer Rodinal 1+25. It has that extra 'bite'.

Contrary to you, I liked the results with thin emulsion film which in my
case was Delta 100. I will continue to use Xtol 1+1 when I know that the
whole film is evenly exposed, but I will use the two bath developer in what
you call 'challenging light situations'. If I want that extra 'bite', then
it is Rodinal, but  Rodinal is one stop slower than Xtol 1+1 with Delta
100. And the divided devloper seems to get even more real or effective
speed out of Delta 100 than does Xtol 1+1

Before shooting real life situations I shot  series of grey cards and
measured the negatives with a densiometer. The curve for Delta 100 was very
close to my ideal curve, and the nominal speed was the true speed which
means that I will shoot at 200. For that test I used the 3 second agitation
method (invert the tank, wait 3 secs, then invert again etc etc).

For the real life shots I decided to agitate 10 secs every minute and I
increased the development times  as per the instructions or from 3 to 5
mins. I gave the tank a good shake, then inverted it four times, changing
the direction by 90° for each inversion. All this takes 10 secs and I did
it once a minute. The film came out very dense, so thus my question above
re agitation. Have you found tha agitation has a great effect on film
over/underdevelopment (i.e. density)?

I'll try you method, and in the meantime would you please send me the
details you offered in your message