Subject: RE: [Leica] 35/1.4 v1 vs v2...
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:21:25 -0500

I've shot with both, and while I wasn't able to do any side by side
comparisons, in my estimation and having achieved at least a Masters in
Finickiness I would say that any difference in performance between the two
versions is slight. The higher price of the first version is based on the
higher original new price, due to higher manufacturing cost, and the whim
of collectors, who value it more highly due to a) this being the first
double ashpherical Leica lens, and b) relative rarity. Optical performance
is not likely a factor. A 50/3.5 Leitz Anastigmat is valued higher than a
coated 50/3.5 Elmar, but not due to higher performance.

 [Austin] Thanks!  That's the general conclusion I've reached...  Since you
have used both, did you find the first version much easier to use, because
of the focusing band vs the tab only?