Subject: RE: [Leica] Whoops, rant mode again
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:59:11 -0500

>>>Do you have any information that says the first versions are any
better?  I take it you don't believe Erwin is correct in his assessment
that the 2nd version is optically better because of only one aspherical
surface?<<<

Yes, equipment matters. But increasingly fine distinctions between very
good types of equipment is not going to make any difference to anyone.
Anybody who owns either aspherical-element 35mm Summilux owns one hell
of a lens. NO ONE who owns either aspherical-element 35mm Summilux gets
brownie points over and above anybody else who happens to own the other
one. That's not what it's all about. Next question?

[Austin]  The purpose of the original question was to find out why the
first version price was 2x the second version, it had nothing to do with
fine distinctions.  It appears that because it has some features that some
people like (such as a focusing band, as opposed to only a tab, which may
make it much easier to use than the second version..which I was unaware of,
not having seen both lenses), or because of it's limited production (to a
collector), some people are willing to pay a premium for it.  Optically, I
do not believe it justifies the 2x price tag, and is, for the most part, a
moot point.  That's basically what I wanted to know.

I completely agree, either one is a damn find lensE ;-)