Subject: Re: [Leica] More on Leitz Patents
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:30:08 -0800

At 1:49 PM -0800 2/18/00, Robert Rose wrote:

>Improvements can be patented over prior art, and that is what they did.
>The two critical patents I have found so far are Wehrenfennig '581 and
>Brohl '201.  Wehrenfennig teaches the use of 4 lugs on a bayonet arranged
>so that light coming from long focal length lenses, or of high intensity,
>is not cut-off in 35mm cameras, and Brohl teaches the use of protuberances
>or notches to align the lens and camera body.

Any theoretical advantage of a 4 lug system was never utilized by Leitz as
far as I know. If you look at any M lens, there is a continuous circle of
metal, except for the rangefinder cutout, inboard of the lugs. For there to
have been any advantage re: vignetting the metal between the lugs would
have to have been cut away.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com