Subject: [Leica] Back from the UAE
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:07:45 EST

Hello all. I'm back from a 10 day trip in the UAE ( United Arab Emirates ) .
I was there on assignement for my job . I was working close to the city of
Abu Dhabi .
The city is very bussiness oriented , with everything selling without taxe .
It's amazing
the huge number of very high priced cars you see .
Taking pics with the M's was no problem in the crowd , though I didn't try to
shoot the local police .
I found a Leica dealer there , located at the " Plaza Residence " , on 2nd
Zayed St.
They stock the complete lines of M's and R's bodies and lenses .
I asked for the price of a Tri Elmar . It was first announced at 2700 USD ,
but , after just a few seconds , the salesman
went down to the low price of 2295 USD . I didn't buy it because it's a big
amount and they don't buy your old lenses back . However , I will have the
oportunity to go back in this country .
The shop also sells Gossen , Bronica , Rollei , Nikon and Canon .
In the city of  A.D. , you can also find one dealer specelized in Canon
equipment .
At the "Souk " , they sell thousends of copies of famous watches : Brietling
, Casio a.s.o.
Too sad they don't sell copies of Leica's !
I'vz also spent some time at the car scrap . Quite a huge place where you can
find US car parts for very low price :
as an example , a complete used but in good condition rear axle for Chevy
Caprice for 60 USD , yes sixty bucks only .
I bought a used set of heads for 120 USD !
The only place where my M's were not allowed to enter was the french "
Continent " supermarket . Just like they do in France ; So sad !
Regards .
Jo GOODTIMES