Subject: [Leica] Leica specials
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:21:02 +1100

It has come to my notice, that some of you (LUGers) have some gripes about
the special
Leica release cameras. I have even heard comments like: "How could anybody
buy a camera like this" Example: Jaguar XK50.

Now comments like this are not nice, nor are they very smart!

Why, This cameras are a maximum profit item for Leica. They are normally
ordered in one batch, they are a guaranteed sold item, the attract virtually
no guarantee return.

What better sales could there be.

Some of you guys are whinging and whining about mister Cohn and his method's
as Leica CEOs.
At the same time you make negative comments about the special commemorative
M6 editions which earn Leica good bucks. Why ???.

You say: " they probably wont see a film going through them." Of course not.
Why should they.  Anybody who can afford a special model, can also afford a
normal model for everyday use.

It is said: "some people buy this specials only as investment"  Good luck to
them.

If they buy 1 or 20 or more, just for investment, the Leica sold this amount
of cameras
without loosing a sale of normal M6,s. The types who by it for investment
reasons,
would not buy a normal camera anyway.

Without those specials, Leitz would be much worth off.   So any of you who
have something negative to say about this type of cameras, think. Nobody
makes you by one.
Others enjoy them.  (I would, if I could afford it)

Wouldn't it be nice, to get a special commemorative  gold and silver plated
M6 with a diamond encrusted shutter speed dial from some Sheik as a
present.  I, definitely wouldn't knock it back. Would you???

Regards Horst Schmidt

Now I am not going on about some of you knockin collectors,