Subject: [Leica] Cambodia/Police
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:56:54 +0000

Roland Smith wrote:
  I am beginning to see
> hints of police abuse of the trust placed in them.  Police departments are,
> generally, a concept of the mid nineteenth century.   Sometimes, there is a
> crossover from their serving to their being served.   A public check is a
> necessary balance.

Yesterday I had coffee with good photographer friend who just returned
from a month in Cambodia.  He went in from Thailand in the south and
took boats and motos and whatever to get around.  He said the biggest
danger was being shaken down for money by the police, a daily occurence
in Phnom Penh.

He traveled light, obviously, and has traveled extensively in India and
Morocco, so used to the attention foreigner usually get assaulted with.
He took a small digital video cam and a Nikon.  When he would pull out
the video he would be instantly surrounded by kids laughing and
giggling, watching the tiny screen.  When he pulled out his Nikon, they
got bored and left.

He said the trip was a constant adventure with the entire country in a
state of anarchy and no jobs, simple lifestyles, a rabid obsession with
Karaoke, and where children can be bought as slaves for as little as
$70.  He "bought" one young girl and returned her to her village and
family several day's travel away.

Sounds like the place for a cheap battered M3,  a couple lenses and lots
of time to absorb the culture.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego