Subject: RE: [Leica] Eggleston: art photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:54:10 -0000

Tim - First off, you're probably right that I am stuck in a particular grove
because of the photo background from which I come...And I have only seen a
few of Eggleston's images, so I really shouldn't answer your question..but I
will ;-).

Based on what I've seen of Eggleston and Walker Evans...

Evans produced many powerful, evocative, beautifully composed, exposed, and
printed images that captured a time, place, and, even more important for me,
feeling of the desperation of the times.

Eggleston's images look like color snapshots of what ever he happens to pass
by.

But that's just my opinion, which is really what all of this thread comes
down to....personal opinion...the old "I know art when I see it"
cliché...:-)
B. D.