Subject: RE: [Leica] Crap-o-la
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:49:59 -0000

Come, on, Mike....First off, we're discussing art, not higher math, physics,
etc., which are utterly inaccessible to those who don't study them...

I realize that I'm pontificating on quick sand here, but I do think there's
a difference between pandering to the "masses," who presumably think those
Keene paintings of big-eyed kids are high art, and producing art whose
meaning can be understood by someone who gives it some thought.

Yes, there is art that takes study, just the way higher math - well, in my
case, lower arithmetic ;-) - takes study. But FAR too often, those who are
unable to convey their message hide behind the argument that what they have
produced is "art," and if you can't understand it, dear viewer, the fault is
yours.

B. D.