Subject: RE: [Leica] Eggleston: art photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:26:32 -0000

Appreciation of any art form takes exposure and understanding. When
Impressionism first appeared it was treated very much as many treat modern
art. Now Impressionism is accepted and we are exposed to it everywhere and
our eye has learned to appreciate this fuzzy representation of the world.
When any art form is thrust upon us unexpectedly and finds us unprepared
(i.e. no earlier exposure), our initial reaction is negative. We have been
trained to reject the strange and the unknown for our own safety and this
attitude migrates into the art world as well. I would recommend a university
extension course in art history to anyone. You may still not like certain
directions that art has gone in but you will understand the whys a little
more.

John Collier

John - Everything you've said is unquestionably true. It is not true,
however, that all art is good art. Crap often masquerades as art.

B. D.