Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Emperor's new clothes: Cindy Sherman
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:00:43 +0000

I think I saw my first CS exhibition in, maybe 1987 or 88 in New York. I
remember going along with another photographer, and thinking it was 'kind
of' interesting. But I've grown more and more irritated with it, partly
because it turned out to be a blind alley IMO... I'm really not that
interested in CS's reified fantasies or postmodern tableaux... hollywood
cameramen do *exactly* the same job (I mean exactly... good ones are just as
aware of the symbolic/subversive content of their imagery as CS) so much
better, with the advantage that they are engaging with a massive public...
but even more so because her enshirinement as tutelary deity to a generation
of photostudents has cut off mainstream 'art' photography from its sources
of energy and inspiration -- namely the 'real' world.

Think what you will of CS, but her work has nothing to do with the 'real'
world... it's a comment on an interpretation at best... a riff on a riff...
no matter from the heart, for me.

Helmut Newton, I continue to just draw a blank on. Being cruel, it seems
like photography for porsche owners. His images may be 'about' power but I
find them unenlightening, and I agree unsexual. I saw the American Photo
retrospective last time I was over, and I stil didn't get it. It looks like
car photography using women to me. But then, maybe I'm just blind to fashion
stuff... as big a fan as I am of Klein, his fashion stuff never lit my
candle... the best stuff in his recent monograph IN AND OUT OF FASHION
seemed to be the recent backstage project... that was great.

However, the point I suppose is that it is great that we all differ on our
views of this stuff. "If everybody looked the same we'd get tired of looking
at each other", to quote Groove Armada of all people. I don't say that Cindy
Sherman isn't a good, or even great photographer. Helmut is certainly good,
Nan I think is probably great. I'm just saying that their work doesn't
engage with my heart in the way that, say, Winogrand's, Adam's, Eggleston
(yes, really), or my current discovery, the truly astounding Boris Mikhailov
does. His 'Unfinished Dissertation' is a revelation.

You know what, though? It's great to be talking about this stuff, John.

- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk