Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Heliar Vehicle (Canon!) NOW (Sears!!)
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:31:11 -0500 (EST)

Don't know about the Tower.  Is it really a Sears camera?

As for the Canon, I shot a test roll of Provia F (and if you haven't
discovered this particular flavor of chrome, I urge you to buy a roll
tomorrow!)  The Skopar is, as expected, unbelievably sharp.  The Canon's
shutter speeds are -- unexpectedly -- *dead on*.  I used a hand-held
incident meter (Sekonic L-508, which is lovely, but about the size of an
M6...), and every single frame was properly exposed, with the exception of
four experimental shots, hand-held at one second.  (Although they were
pretty sharp.)

I still don't know the reciprocity characteristics of this new
Provia; once I've figure that out, I can test the slowest speeds.

A question for all you thread mounties:  what is the "T" speed on the slow
dial?  It opens the curtain, and the only way I seem to be able to close
it is to turn the slow speed dial.  Is this some peculiar variation on
Bulb -- so that you can leave the shutter open for a few hours, then come
back and close it?  (Pardon the ignorance; rangefinders are a very recent
obsession.)

cheers,

Douglas Cooper