Subject: [Leica] Re: Emperor's new clothes...
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:59:52 -0600

At 06:24 PM 14/02/2000 -0500, Tina wrote:
>I know exactly what you mean!  The curator of a photographic exhibit of
>blurred, tilted, poorly printed photographs once told me condescendingly
>that the works were purposely "unaccessible" to the majority of
>people.  BULL!  It may make the "artist" feel superior to produce works
>that no one understands, but if they don't communicate anything, they are
>worthless worthless to me.

I have the same sentiments.  Too much "unaccessible" photography gets hung
in galleries.  I suspect that the reason for this is that many gallery
curators are trained in art history and in traditional art forms.  They do
not "understand" photography.
   Small galleries that deal exclusively in photography have to be
different.  The owners need to understand photography in order to stay in
business.
   Another point is that the market can sometimes place an excessively high
value on a photograph not so much for its content, but because of who took
the photo.