Subject: [Leica] LTM
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:02:23 -0500 (EST)

Thank you all for the useful advice.  For the time, I'm going to
concentrate on wide-angle work with the Heliar and Skopar -- both
available-light quick-grab stuff, and architectural work with a tripod.

I'm really looking forward to what the Heliar makes out of those ancient
stone idols on Easter Island.  (Some perspectival trickery should be fun
here.)

Sooner or later I do want to get into older rangefinder equipment,
however.  Do any of the screw-mount rangefinders -- Nikon, Canon -- hold
their own with the Leica IIs and IIIs?  (And do any of you have a nice old
user, in some respectable flavor, that you'd care to sell or trade me?)

(Apologies if the above casual remark breaks the Fridays Only rule...)

I've been having a private converstion, off-list, about something that
potentially troubles me regarding the Heliar.  It seems that with the
cut-out lens shade, the Heliar has to be mounted very precisely in the
screw mount, with the dot at exactly 12 o'clock.  (Or am I missing
something here?)  And the screw mount, unlike a bayonet, does not seem
designed to stop the insertion of the lens at any point.  When I first
mounted the Heliar, it was so tight that the dot lined up at about 11.
It now hits twelve, but only with some exertion (which can't be good for
the mount).  I'm worried that the mount will loosen over time, so that the
dot moves to 1 o'clock.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all the help,

Douglas Cooper