Subject: [Leica] exact framing / lenshoods
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:16:04 +0100

Dan and Mike wrote:

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:48:16 +0000
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Subject: [Leica] Exact framing??

>>>The R8 is better than the M6 because:

It has the best damn viewfinder in the photographic world.  (I don't
care
how clear the M6 finder is, it just doesn't allow exact framing!<<<

Dan States,
I thought the R8 finder only shows 92% of the image that ends up on the
film. Is this not so? If it is so, how can you say it's "exact framing"?

- - --Mike

Well, Mike, my understanding is that the M framelines are also set to show
the area of a mounted slide, not the whole area of exposed emulsion, and
that too at the closest focussng distance, so that they show far less than
the exposed area when the lens is focussed at infinity. Add parallax (sp?)
to that and the R viewfinder suddenly seems a whole lot more precise. I
doubt anyone would buy the M cameras for their framing characteristics (I
say this pulling on my asbestos knickers in preparation for being flamed).
Rob.
BTW, I came across the advice to put two filters on the front of your lens
(with one or both of the glasses removed, depending on taste) so the rings
form a hood. Works fine with my 35, and may even be cheaper than other
options.

Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow
Via Bellentani 36
41100 Modena