Subject: [Leica] 1953 LTM Summarit 50/1.5?
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:05:48 +0000

Roland Smith: >>>>
Everyone I have talked to about this lens has been highly critical.   I
bought mine in 1957 new with a Leica IIIg and used it through college
taking pictures indoor and out using available light exposing a large
volume of film.   I always used the Leica lens shade out of doors to
avoid lens flare.

I have even had a slide enlarged to 24X36 onto a poster with great
results.

I got great results with it and have even acquired a second once since.
recommend the use of a lens shade out of doors.
<<<<

Roland,
Sounds like the old disjunct...some people only demand that a lens be
super-"sharp" and flare-free...others like lenses that make good
pictures that they like. Sometimes the two overlap, sometimes not.

I've owned or used exceptionally "sharp" lenses I didn't care for (the
Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Limited or the 50mm Summilux-M come to mind), and I've
owned "bad" lenses that I really loved.

It all depends what you're looking for....

- --Mike