Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital cameras and Interchangable lenses?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 14:18:20 -0800

At 11:38 AM +0100 2/12/00, Stephen Holloway wrote:

>> Lenses for high performance digital cameras _NEED_ chromatically highly
>> corrected lenses. The problem is one of color fringing. On analog material
>> (film) the color fringing spreads softly from the principal element. With a
>> digital sensor, the one color can be on one pixel, and another color on a
>> different pixel. Truly ugly. Therefore the high end digital cameras, such
>> as those from Sinar, use APO lenses even for relatively short focal
>> lengths, and are horrendously expensive. A strange thing to say on a Leica
>> list, but true. Another thing to remember is that today's high end
>> camera/sensor array will be tomorrow's point and shoot. Lens design will
>> have to hit new heights, at affordable prices. Some of Leica's recent
>> lenses will be fine with tomorrow's sensors, but not many of the older ones.
>>

>That's interesting. Won't the problem be ameliorated with higher density
>sensors (as the fringing spreads across more buckets)? Also, of course,
>I look forward to the option of a purely monochrome sensor (without the
>colour mask - the way they used to be). That's going to be usable isn't
>it?

Right now many sensors are too coarse to pick up the fringing. When we have
truly huge pixel densities the problem might indeed get go away again.
We're a long way away from that at the moment.

A lot of the sensors are monochrome, and produce colors with the help of
filter wheels, just like in the early years of the last? (no, NO, don't go
there!) century. Color fringing will still cause some problems on
monochrome images, but they will usually not be objectionable. However, if
you want color photos......

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com