Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital cameras and Interchangable lenses?
From: Stephen Holloway <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:38:50 +0100

"Henning J. Wulff" wrote:

> Lenses for high performance digital cameras _NEED_ chromatically highly
> corrected lenses. The problem is one of color fringing. On analog material
> (film) the color fringing spreads softly from the principal element. With a
> digital sensor, the one color can be on one pixel, and another color on a
> different pixel. Truly ugly. Therefore the high end digital cameras, such
> as those from Sinar, use APO lenses even for relatively short focal
> lengths, and are horrendously expensive. A strange thing to say on a Leica
> list, but true. Another thing to remember is that today's high end
> camera/sensor array will be tomorrow's point and shoot. Lens design will
> have to hit new heights, at affordable prices. Some of Leica's recent
> lenses will be fine with tomorrow's sensors, but not many of the older ones.

That's interesting. Won't the problem be ameliorated with higher density
sensors (as the fringing spreads across more buckets)? Also, of course,
I look forward to the option of a purely monochrome sensor (without the
colour mask - the way they used to be). That's going to be usable isn't
it?

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos