Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenshood v. filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:54:00 -0800

Lucien wrote:

> "A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote :
>
> >  The inbuilt shade on the Noctilux is , in my
> > opinion completely useless.
>
> The same with the current 50/2 and 50/1,4 shades.
> Because of their stupid design, you NEED and UV filter on them.
> ;-)
>
> Lucien

Joke or no joke?????!:
You use a UV filter on those lenses because of the inefficiency of those shades
in protecting the lens from flare
in protecting the lens from flying objects
all or none of the above because if you I'm not seeing the logic behind it.
What would seem logical or practical to me would be to get an add on shade
That's what we hear others doing.
I'm getting shades for my current 90 and 135 lenses. I think from B+W.
not because I feel the built in ones don't shield the lens well from flair/ the sun.
but because when I drop the lens into the camera bag it protects the lens
against what might have fallen to the bottom of the bag, a sharp abject like a
lens back or roll of film or a chunk of rock..?. And it might end up being a
cool modification.
Mark Rabiner