Subject: Re: [Leica] help with M 135mm lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:18:45 -0500

At 03:31 PM 2/11/2000 -0800, Jay Kumarasamy wrote:

>Iam on the look out for M 135mm.  I have held and 'inspected' the Elmar
135/4.
>A real smooth operator and built solid.  But I hear the Tele-Elmars are
better.
>They also almost cost twice as much as the Elmars.  They look shorter and
>perhaps lighter.
>
>Which is a better lens ??.

Optically, I would go for the Elmar.  This is a "long-focus lens", 135mm in
length.  The Tele-Elmar is a tele-photo, optically compressed.  I owned and
shot with both for more than five years, and never found a substantial
difference between them.  But, I would suspect the Elmar to be a tad
sharper and with better resolution, as less optical compromises went into
its design.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!