Subject: [Leica] Re: Hi from a Newbie!
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:10:22 -0800

Ted

>>I shoot a roll with
the lens set wide open at subjects as close as the lens will focus and at
infinity with a bunch of distances in between. This allows you to see the
effects the lens will give without doing it on a paying assignment<<

I took your advice and shot a roll using my 90/2 R and 35/2 R wide open, in
and around a local flower stand. I'm anxious to see the results.

Years ago I photographed for Chevron Chemical Co -- Ortho Lawn & Garden
books, etc. I did lots of extreme close up work - entomolgy, bugs and stuff
- -- where I was always starved for dof. When I photographed scenics --
gardens, flowerbeds, landscapes -- the layout guys always wanted everything
in sharp focus. Old habits die hard.

>>If you're using an M6, automatically set the shutter speed to 1/1000 or
depending on the intensity of the light, to the hihest shutter speed, then
go from there to adjust the aperture for a correct exposure. If you run out
of lens speed then slow the shutter speed down for the correct exposure.<<

This is great advice. One problem with rangefiders is that you never get to
preview dof. It's easy to lose awareness.

>>I hope this helps.<<

It did. Excellent post with some really great advice.

David