Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: UVa Filter unwanted effects.
From: AlastairF@bhs.grampianshealth.org.au
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:00:33 +1100

Dear Jim and other filter wonderers,

Since joining the LUG, I've not used filters for protection. Indeed it was
Jim's comment about how many pristine UV filters I owned that made me
realize that the front elements were not really under too much threat. Mind
you, that's fine for me, but only a month ago, I stated my "opinion", and
influenced a friend and his new Canon/Sigma combo. The filter was expensive
and he thought good enough for AGF, good enough for him. Two days later he
scratched the front element :-(

I went with the line --- you will never notice, but finally cheered him up
when I said:
"if you had scratched the 'expensive' filter would you have replaced it?"
the answer was no, so I said that his images would have been even more
degraded if the filter was scattering light and he decided that he was not
too badly off after all. He cannot tell the difference, the mark is minute,
and he's once again talking to me ;-)

Cheers
Alastair