Subject: Re: [Leica] Fay Godwin?
From: Ed Buziak <ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:55:21 +0000

Mike & Julian,

I knew that to say I hadn't heard of Fay Godwin using a Leica was looking
for trouble... last night I looked in my reference files and found an
illustrated interview on her (by Robert Haas) from the defunct UK "Camera"
magazine dated August 1981 which stated that she used 35mm and mainly 6x6
(Hasselblad) for her landscapes and occasionally 6x9 (Linhof). At the time
she hadn't used any 4x5 but anticipated doing so. She thought that many of
her best pictures were those taken hand-held on 35mm and that if she had to
decide on only using only one camera then she would stick to 35mm... **and
she was using an M2 and M4**... so there we have it  :-)

Also of interest in the same article... amongst the photographers she
admired she mentioned Paul Strand, Bill Brandt, Walker Evans, Wynn Bullock
as well as John Blakemore. Needless to say she also had tremendous
admiration for HC-B and Lartigue.

Ed Buziak / Publisher
"Camera & Darkroom"

ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk