Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V15 #44
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:18:25 -0800

> In all seriousness, I would love to see an example of the
> same scene photographed with and without a UV filter, where
> there are noticeable differences.   Perhaps they could be
> posted to the LUG page (I've forgotten the URL) set up by
> Hans Pahlen for LUGers to post their Leica images.

In using my 35 Summilux ASPH (2nd generation) for night
time photography in downtown Portland, I have found
that the use of a filter (UV haze, B+W brand) *appears*
to accentuate both reflections and haloing of
streeghtlights.

I keep a filter on as I cannot quite deal with the notion
of smashing in the front element of a nearly $2000 lens.

I've started removing the filter in these situations,
and I've always removed it when the camera's on a tripod.

However, I have yet to do a formal test of a single
scene with/without, at a set of different apertures.
You've given me reason to do so now (I'd been thinking
of doing so anyway, because I'd like a more detailed idea
of exactly what the filter does), and I'll get to it
in the next week or 2. I will post my results to the LUG.

- -Alexey