Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UVa Filter unwanted effects.
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:00:38 +1100

Julian Thomas wrote:

> [...]

Julian, there is a way out. Mount a good quality lens hood on to your lens
and leave it on.
You can even get a lens cap which fits over the lens hood.

Nearly all my lenses have the lens hood constantly mounted. Unless I can not
get a hood for the lens, like my cannon 28mm's. The added advantage is, that
a lens hood can only improve your photographs, a filter however can give you
problems. (exceptions of course with B&W film.).
I never yet scratched or marked my front element.
A while ago I fell flat on my face. I used my M3 and the Noctilux. I was
walking and looking through the viewfinder.Then I tripped on some stairs.
While changing from the vertical to the horizontal position, I had all sorts
of visions of dented, scratched and bend Noctiluxes.

I did land quite hard, my elbow is still tender  to this day. I could hear
the lens scrape on the ground. While lying on the ground, some 9 year old boy
asked me, if i needed some help.
Boy, how embarrassing. Well, after righting myself and walking off as if
nothing happened, I inspected my Camera equipment around the next corner.
I had a lens hood screwed in to the filter tread of the Noctilux. The hood
was bend and scratched, but the lens was unharmed. The dented hood unscrewed
without problems.
I walked to the next photo shop, and purchased another.

By the way, I found the inbuilt lens hood is about as useful as a pair of
t**s on a bull.

Regard, Horst Schmidt