Subject: Re: [Leica] Vienna, Austria info requested [on topic]
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:52:44 EST

zeissler writes:

 - Does Austria have any rules about tripod usage?
Snip

None in my experience. I've used my old tiltall there.

>>would it be
 smarter to purchase the film in Vienna?  What about processing?

snip

I travel there on business, which is different, perhaps worse than a personal
trip, because I'm in a hurry. No time to size up the inspectors, etc. Many
trips through airports on a trip. My judgment has always been to take my film
and bring it back. I do not use the film shields, and always have it out of
the carton, seeded with 3200, in zip locks. I ask very insistently, even
feigning lack of understanding for hand inspection, and get it often. I
haven't been burned yet.

However, if I lost a trip due to fog, it would not be the end of the world,
to me. It's not worth the time to search out my film, and processing there.
You experience my differ. Thought you might be interested in my experience
going through the machines.

 - I'm planning on taking both the Leica IIIf and the M3 with a 25mm, 35mm,
 50mm and a 135mm so I can shoot mono and color.  Do I need proof of
 ownership or insurance documents to show to customs?

snip
Technically you do to return. I have a copy of my homeowners insurance
document which lists my equipment in the bottom of my bag. I have never been
forced to dig for it. I've been asked a few times. Itdosen't take much effort
to get some type of proof of ownership, so I would do it. Again I'm normally
traveling on business, traveling very light, carry on's, and my light kit M5,
70's 35'cron, 90 collspbl

 - I will be wearing non-descript clothing and carrying a non-descript camera
 bag.  Is there anything I should be aware of regarding theft prevention, or
 trying to fit in with the locals?

Nothing you would not do at home. It's a magnificent city. Go and wander with
camera always ready. I'd love to have the time you'll have on your trip
sometime!!