Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh God, it's happened
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:16:07 -0500

There's the difference.

I never use mine wide open. In fact I shoot a 28 almost exclusively
at 5.6 or 8 for the hyperfocal thing. Given that, I've never seen the
Bokeh of the Rokkor. I will say this, however. One of the things I
like about the Rokkor is its ability to give me nice open shadows.
It's one of the few lenses that gives me green tonality on dark
distant trees in a landscape, even with Velvia, something I consider
a Leicaish trait.

Also, I had mine converted to bring up the 28mm framelines.

>It's hard -- ugly is a personal thing, I guess. I felt that it was not as
>sharp as my Leica glass, that the 'bokeh' was unflattering, and that the
>darker midtones were muddy. Maybe it was because I was using it mainly wide
>open -- but that's how I shoot. One thing that is certainly true is that
>Leica lenses are optimised for wider apertures than most other lenses.
>
>Your point about the size is a good one, but I've taken that into account.
>
>One final point is that it didn't bring up the 28 frame on my M4-P, which is
>irritating but not terminal.
>

>--
>John Brownlow
>
>       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com