Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh God, it's happened
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:02:13 -0500

I have used a Rokkor for about three years now, and I love it. I find
that the results match the Leica glass in terms of rendering fine
details. The color balance is not as warm.

But I wouldn't call it ugly? Can you define ugly? When I think of
ugly I think of the lenses on the Fuji 645 cameras. Does it have a
sharpness problem?

I have owned only a few other 28mm lenses in my life and never a
Leica, so I can't compare it to that.
My original attraction to the Rokkor was it's size, which you cannot
argue with. It's the only 28 that allows you to see the whole
viewfinder.

Tom

>Last week I went out to buy an M-mount 28/2.8. I was offered a couple of
>Elmarits and a Rokkor. I bought the Rokkor (half the price) and shot 8 rolls
>with it on Monday.
>
>Akkk. No, I mean, aaaaakkkkkkkk.
>

>It doesn't look right. Not even close to what I've been used to from my
>Leica glass. I preferred my old Canon 28/2.8, which isn't sharp by any
>means, but at least isn't... ugly.
>

>Am I mad? Or blind? Or is the difference real?
>

>Anyway, I had to send it back and stump up for an Elmarit.
>

>--
>John 'now a Leica snob, I guess' Brownlow
>
>       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
>        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk

Thomas Kachadurian
www.kachadurian.com