Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide Preservation
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:49:04 -0800

I don't shoot a lot of color, but when I do it's usually Kodachrome,
primarily due to its archival qualities. The E6 films have really closed the
gap in terms of quality---I shot a roll of Provia 100F a few weeks ago, and
was really impressed with it. But, like a lot of other people who have
posted on this topic, I've had a chance to go through my dad's
transparencies from the late 40's and early 50's, and it's the Kodachromes
that have held up. Accelerated aging tests and the like have been cited as
proof of the new E6 films' longevity, but I have yet to be convinced. But my
work is strictly personal, and a few days' turnaround time is merely
annoying. People like Ted, who do this sort of thing for a living, face very
real deadlines and for them the 2-hour processing time for E6 films
understandably makes them a no-brainer.

Not every photograph has to last forever, but you never know which ones. I
visited Berlin in April 1989. The Wall, etc., seemed to have an air of
finality at the time, and no one dreamed that it would come down six months
later. I'm glad I still have pictures of what the city used to look like,
and that I shot then on Kodachrome. A stint as a volunteer printer of some
old glass-plate negs (of really old Seattle) at a local museum left me with
a lot of respect for the photographers of the time, both for the results
they got with the materials at the turn of the last century and for taking
care that their negatives would last. A lot of those pictures weren't taken
for any grand purpose, there was just someone there with a camera. Without
them, I would have never seen a picture of the cow pasture that is now
Portage Bay (my backyard).

For the same reason, I've had a deep lack of interest in digital, either for
imaging or storage. CDs are a lousy storage medium (figure about a dozen
years), even if you can deal with file format changes down the line. Every
time someone suggests moving my archives, such as they are, onto digital
media, I think back to the fun weekend I spent helping a friend retrieve the
manuscript of his novel (originally written in WordStar, and stored on a
5-1/4" disc), or the continuing process ongoing at our law firm in
converting ten years' worth of  WordPerfect 5.1 filings to Word 2000. And
then I reach into the fridge for another roll of K64.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.