Subject: Re: [Leica] Weight- was Canon Eos whatever and also F3 (somewhat OT)
From: yaojkfdr@netvigator.com
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 23:06:04 +0800

Rod,

> Meantime may I ask again- is it possible to get an adapter to fit
> Nikon AI
> lenses on a Leica R, while retaining infinity focus, full aperture
> metering
> and auto stop-down, or are the two just totally incompatible? If there
> are
> any engineering designers out there, I have friends here in the
> precision
> engineering business who might be tempted by the challenge of making
> such a
> thing.

I have looked into this before and it is not feasible to mount Nikon lenses
on a Leica R and maintain infinity focus at the same time.  The mount
register for Nikon F is 46.50mm and that for Leica R is 47.00mm.  If you
were to mount a Nikon lens on a Leica R camera your lens would be 0.5mm too
far from the film plane to achieve infinity focus.  If you were prepared to
forgo infinity focusing, you would still lose full aperture metering and
auto stop-down.

Adaptors that are commonly available include: Leica R lens to Canon EOS
body, Contax SLR lens to Canon EOS body, Nikon AI/S lens to Canon EOS body
and Pentax/Zeiss M42 screw mount to Canon EOS body.  Canon bodies have
always had rather slim mount register (44mm for EOS and 42mm for FD) hence
you can use a variety of lenses with them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joseph