Subject: Re: [Leica] The disputably desirable
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 13:44:58 -0800

Mike Johnston wrote:

> !!!  Tell that to the 13 million+ people who have bought Olympus
> Styluses for an average of maybe $120 apiece!
>
> ...But if you make things expensive, you'd better make them indisputably
> desirable. (Anybody here NOT want one of those lucious black-paint M6s?
> It would be totally impractical for me and is way beyond my budget, but
> I sure feel the pull. How'd you feel if you got a 35 Summilux ASPH as a
> gift? I'd be leaping for joy.) My own opinion about the R8 entirely
> aside, I've observed enough variance of opinion about its appeal here on
> the LUG to make it clear that that condition--i.e., indisputable
> desirability--doesn't pertain.
>
> --Mike

It is a quality hunk of innovative* machinery and should perceived and sold as such.
The price it's selling for now seems in line with that.
The camera is off putting in it's unusual size and shape to a casual observer at
the camera store who have not done their homework.
And who may not be as tempted to pick it up and try to get the feel of it and
find out how ergonomic it really is.
If they start selling it for the same price as a Pentax people are going to get
suspicious and feel like they are looking with a tainted product.
It tait tainted it's good stuff.
If I ever go R the choice between an R6.2 and an R8 is a hard one.
But i suspect I'm an M guy for this lifetime as I know it!
Mark Rabiner
* Innovative at least in it's design concept (look) and it's market niche placement.