Subject: RE: [Leica] DOF surprises
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 13:41:32 -0500

Okay, now we are getting into some cool stuff here!  I stand corrected on
the Noctilux focus.  There is room to move with this baby!  I guess, per Jim
Brick's analysis, the 75mm Summilux gets the award for no depth of field.
But for most everything else it looks like we have about 2" to 3" of DOF to
play with wide open at a six foot distance.  Yeah, I think I could work with
that.  So.  Some conclusions:

1.  75 Summilux can not be focused under certain conditions.  I will pass on
this lens.  Besides, no 75mm framelines in my M3.

2.  You can have as little as 1-1/4" of DOF with the f2.8 135.  I will pass
on this lens, but only because it is so damn ugly with those funky bug eyes.
I think I would rather strap a visoflex to my camera!

3.  The 90mm Summicron.  Could be my next lens.  2-1/4" of DOF will at least
get me an eyeball in focus.  The M3 VF magnification should help here, also.
Of course, I might wimp out and get the 2.8 Elmarit-M instead.  Us Sunday
shooters do have to know our limitations.  ;-)

Jim, Guido, thanks for the information!  It really is helpful.

Bob Kramer
Atlanta, GA