Subject: [Leica] Noctilux DOF (was Delta 3200)
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:44:02 -0500

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Noctilux.  Perhaps I spoke too strongly
about the image quality possible with this lens, but a mis-conception borne
from my admittedly limited exposure to photographs taken with this lens.  I
blame society!  Actually, I blame Leica as my comments are largely based on
the representative Noctilux photo from their latest M brochure (the chick on
the motor scooter).  As well as the few other photos I have seen taken with
this lens.  In Leica's case, one would think that when showcasing their most
expensive M lens they would choose a photo that shows us the very best that
this lens can offer.  Maybe its just me... I dunno.

Clearly you regard the Noctilux highly based on your own experience using
it.  And this is the way it should be.  But I do think we all gravitate
towards the lenses as well as the other equipment that allow us to best
realize our own individual photographic vision.  I think my original post on
this issue was in response to someone saying something to the effect that if
I wanted a 50mm Summilux, what I *really* needed was a Noctilux.  And all I
am trying to say is that this ain't necessarily so, for a variety of reasons
including cost, weight, size, optics and DOF issues.  Particularly when we
are talking about your "standard" lens, the lens that is going to hang on
your camera 80% of the time, the one you are going to lug around wherever
you go.

Ted, I would love to see some of your shots using this lens.  Perhaps you
could add a photo or two to you website, or email me one or two so I can get
a better feel for what is possible with the Noct. beyond what I have seen to
date.  I am more than happy to add another lens to my wish list.  You never
know when I might win the lottery!  :-)

Bob Kramer