Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Class double date
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 00:48:56 -0500

Precisely my point.  "Middle class" in its American application generally
falls between the group who derives its principal wealth from the ownership
of the means of production (capital that reproduces itself) or land (income
derived from rents or the outright production of goods) and those who work
for wages and do not possess significant property (working class).
Traditionally the "middle class" consists of the professions: the law,
medicine, the ministry (who derive their income from 'service', broadly
conceived--so it might extend to include, say, college professors), shop
owners (whom we might view as "middle" men between producers and consumers,
though this group also includes, depending on when and where, owners of
shops dedicated to the skilled trades--the Newport cabinet makers of the
18th century are a case in point--we might think of general contractors in
the present day, that is, those who employ wage earners).

The problem, of course, is that none of these categories is mutually
exclusive.  One might practice as a lawyer *and* possess vast capital.  One
might practice as a minister and live among one's congregation in abject
poverty.  One might own a thousand acres of land and subsist on federal
subsidies. Class identity in America is a slippery thing, but when
Jefferson professed his love of the "yeoman" farmer and his desire that
they should remain the bedrock of the republic, he manifestly did *not*
mean shopkeepers (whom he largely despised) or bankers, or anything of that
sort.  He meant "freeholders" of property. One could, in the interest of
pedantry, speak to property restrictions on the voting franchise, to
eligibility for militia service, and other "class" markers; these are of
course evoked by the second of the dictionary definitions.

Veblen had a far simpler notion: the "leisure" class possessed the means to
squander time and the inclination to do so.  The "industrial" order
possessed the capacity to transform the world through the efficient
disposition of time and the judicious employment of technology--we are, I
suppose, its heirs.

For my part, I have no class at all.

Chandos

>Main Entry: yeoˇmanˇry
>Pronunciation: 'yO-m&n-rE
>Function: noun
>Date: 14th century
>1 : the body of yeomen; specifically : the body of small landed proprietors of
>the middle class
>2 : a British volunteer cavalry force created from yeomen in 1761 as a home
>defense force and reorganized in 1907 as part of the territorial force
>Mark Rabiner

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown