Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Class double date
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 18:56:50 -0800

Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

> One hesitates to take issue with the distinguished historian, but I've never seen "yeomanry" (which has a technical meaning) used to describe what most > American historians would characterize as the "middle class"--or, in the language of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, "the middling sort."  > > > Likewise "gentry," which passed into American English as a term of opprobrium (often used ironically to describe the affectations of the would-be > > >   > > 'aristocracy') by the third decade of the 19th century (with the notable exception of the lower South).  In any event, in nearly every application, > > English or American, "gentry" applies to landowners, not merchants (distinguished by the end of the 18th c.--as in Adam Smith) as the "mercantile > > classes."

><Snip>

Main Entry: yeoˇmanˇry
Pronunciation: 'yO-m&n-rE
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : the body of yeomen; specifically : the body of small landed proprietors of
the middle class
2 : a British volunteer cavalry force created from yeomen in 1761 as a home
defense force and reorganized in 1907 as part of the territorial force
Mark Rabiner