Subject: Re: [Leica] Osterloh's M book + MC meters
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 08:32:15 +1100

- --------------168C82C71CDFC07669D9DA56

Hans Pahlen wrote:

Snip:

> I have the latest German edition, as well as the earlier English. The only difference is that some of the latest lenses have been added in the lens section (50/2.8, 35/1.4 asph and current 28/2.8). It is a good and honest book. An example: Osterloh is the only author who openly states that the MC-meters are no good today because of aging. There are lots of other authors, that simply advice the readers to go ahead and use them like any MR-meter.

Hans, The above mentioned book may be a very good book. I don't have one, but I don't believe  it has anything to do with honesty to just  generalize about the quality of the MC meters..

I am the owner of 3 MC meters. There is nothing at all wrong with them.
They are very accurate meters. When I compare them to other hand held, or even to
TTL meters, I find hardly any discrepancy. On the contrary, they are more consistent
from one to the next, than some of my other meters.
The only problem I have is with the booster cells for this meters. Out of 4 I had, 2 which read low, 2 are OK. But I only once had to use one.

When buying a MC meter, then it is advisable to look a the overall condition. If it is to battered, then there may be intermitted problems, or the selenium cell is connections are corroded.
Normally a meter in good condition, can be checked for its accuracy at most good photographic dealers. Even if it is out by one F stop, it is not necessarily because of aging. As with all other meters, they all have some variations, even when new.

The thing is, to know your meter, and then take the appropriate action. Eg. set it to the next lower or higher ASA setting.

The big advantage with the MC meter is the lack of batteries. It may not be as sensitive as the MR meter, but then not every one has a Noctilux.

 Regards, Horst Schmidt

- --------------168C82C71CDFC07669D9DA56

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Hans Pahlen wrote:

<P>Snip:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I have the latest German edition, as well as the
earlier English. The only difference is that some of the latest lenses
have been added in the lens section (50/2.8, 35/1.4 asph and current 28/2.8).
It is a good and honest book. <B>An example: Osterloh is the only author
who openly states that the MC-meters are no good today because of aging.</B>
There are lots of other authors, that simply advice the readers to go ahead
and use them like any MR-meter.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Hans, The above mentioned book may be a very good book. I don't have one,
but I don't believe&nbsp; it has anything to do with honesty to just&nbsp;
generalize about the quality of the MC meters..

<P>I am the owner of 3 MC meters. There is nothing at all wrong with them.
<BR>They are very accurate meters. When I compare them to other hand held,
or even to
<BR>TTL meters, I find hardly any discrepancy. On the contrary, they are
more consistent
<BR>from one to the next, than some of my other meters.
<BR>The only problem I have is with the booster cells for this meters.
Out of 4 I had, 2 which read low, 2 are OK. But I only once had to use
one.

<P>When buying a MC meter, then it is advisable to look a the overall condition.
If it is to battered, then there may be intermitted problems, or the selenium
cell is connections are corroded.
<BR>Normally a meter in good condition, can be checked for its accuracy
at most good photographic dealers. Even if it is out by one F stop, it
is not necessarily because of aging. As with all other meters, they all
have some variations, even when new.

<P>The thing is, to know your meter, and then take the appropriate action.
Eg. set it to the next lower or higher ASA setting.

<P>The big advantage with the MC meter is the lack of batteries. It may
not be as sensitive as the MR meter, but then not every one has a Noctilux.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;Regards, Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>