Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: asked for ID? (increasingly off topic)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:46:45 +0100

Alexey Merz responded to
> > How many innocent people are certain to suffer at the hands of the
ten freed guilty?

with

> Is it really 10:1?

I took the quote from the American/Canadian J.L.Halperin's The Truth
Machine, where he attributes it to the jurist W.Blackstone upon which
the USA Constitution and Bill of Rights were based.  Last month when I
felt the flu bug coming on I made a dash to the public library and
grabbed half a dozen novels at random.  Of these six books three of
them made reference to this statement about allowing "10 men to go free
rather than  let one innocent suffer"  Hence my synchronicity remark
when I read the LUG doing the same thing.

One of the novels was by James Lee Burke.  The main character (a cop)
was asked ... why the judicial system put so many crooks back on the
street.  The answer, to keep the cops so busy with their heads down in
the gutter that they won't have time to investigate the real crooks in
the legislature.

Incidentally, Stop and Search, is a new(ish) method being tried by the
British Police.  They are being trained to do this without antogonizing
the subject.  Very difficult, and there are daily criticisms in the
press about these "in your face" tactics.  But it seems to be working.

OK, so its OT but I find it interesting what other photographers think
about various topics other than what lens they prefer.

Alan