Subject: Re: [Leica] Screens & pixels & some guttapercha
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 02:37:14 -0500

I used to think that bigger was better and if people didn't have the time to
look at my splendid 250kB 800 pixel wide images the way Nature intended them
to be displayed (or at least, me) then it was their loss.

That's when I was on a T1 line ;)

I've now moved the LUG to my private email address, trying to separate my
work and private email.  At home, I use a portable Macintosh, which by
portable standards has a great screen.  But the modem is 56kB and my ISP (a
university) only provides about 32000 bps at the fastest connection speed.

I've really come to value people who's web photographs are no more than 600
pixels wide and under 50kB.

It doesn't actually seem to reduce quality all that much either.  I'm
beginning to realize that "photography for the web" is a bit of a special
medium and has considerations of its own.  Download time, unfortunately,
does factor in to it.

That said -- I can understand how a large, wall-mounted display of that
first shot from the piazza in Rome must look wonderful.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |