Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:20:24 -0800

There is no question that the police have enormous powers. There is also no
question that a good number of officers abuse such powers, sometimes with
the tacit approval of superiors. There are well documented cases of such
abuses and they range from minor offenses, to undue police force and
brutality to murder.
But it makes me laugh when individuals resent being stopped for routine
checks and asked for their ID.

I am no supporter of police tactics but I prefer that a possible crime be
prevented at the slight cost of embarrassment on the part of the citicizen
being questioned, rather than someone having to suffer loss of property or
even life in the name of "freedom". Crime prevention is infinitely
preferable to the consequences of a crime occurred.

While in public I do not mind at all being questioned as long as it is done
in a professional  manner. What I do mind is the "us against them" attitude
that most cops hold.

Joseph Codsipoti